Life Survival expert Bear Grylls on the verge of death after a bee sting By weekster Posted on August 30, 2019 2 min read Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Google+ Bear Grylls is a survival expert, but recently he experienced extremely frightening moments. During the recording of his Treasure Island program, the 45-year-old presenter was stung by a bee and that resulted in a life-threatening allergic reaction. Fate struck when Bear brought the participants by boat to a remote Pacific island special for the first episode of the new season. After incident, he initially tried to continue recording, but it soon went completely wrong. Bear got into a so-called anaphylactic shock, a serious form of allergic reaction. The former special forces soldier lost consciousness. The medical staff present intervened quickly and gave the adventurer a dose of adrenaline to counteract the bee venom. Brain surgeon Mano Shanmug-Anathan saw it all happen. “Bear is an impressive guy. He knows what to do. The irony is in seeing Bear, the survival expert, stung by a small instinct, developed an allergic reaction and was treated with epinephrine. It was so weird!”, he says to Daily Star. It is not the first time that Bear gets into trouble because of a bee. In 2016, an episode of his show Born Survivor showed how he had an extreme reaction to a sting. His face swelled to the point that he could hardly see anything. It did not come to anaphylactic shock then. Such shocks can be deadly within minutes.